I’m a Mathematician connects students with real mathematicians online.
In the activity, students:
- Read profiles of mathematicians in different careers
- Ask their own questions about everything and anything
- Chat with mathematicians during a 40-minute, text-based live chat session
- Vote for their favourite mathematician to win £500 to do more STEM engagement
For students of all abilities
The activity is pupil-led (students ask the questions they want to) so different age groups, ability levels, and backgrounds all get something out of it.
- Suitable for Year 5/P6 to Year 13/S6
- Primary and secondary
- Special schools, pupil referral units, and other non-mainstream educational settings
Perfect for blended learning
Everything happens online.
Students can take part from home or school – all they need is internet access.
No personal details are shared on the site. Only students given access by their teacher can log in. Teachers can also moderate the Chat.
All interaction is through text – there is no video or audio used – and we moderate all content.
Fits into your timetable
I’m a Mathematician is a flexible online activity, running all term.
Book live chats for the date and time in November that suits you. Students can log in at any point to read profiles and ask questions.
We suggest spending 2 hours on the activity – one preparation lesson, one homework and one live chat session. This can be adapted for your timetable.
Free for state-maintained, UK schools
We work with a range of organisations to offer this activity free to UK state-maintained schools and colleges.
Non-state-maintained schools, and schools outside of the UK may be asked to pay a fee to take part. More information.
Find out more:
If you have any questions at all, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.